Discover the latest insights and data-driven trends in Australian philanthropy and community funding in our 2023 Philanthropy Insights Report
In the last financial year, Perpetual partnered with individuals, families and trusts to facilitate the distribution of $185 million into communities. This report takes a look at that funding, with a particular focus on the $38 million committed via our IMPACT Philanthropy Application Program (IPAP), which seeks applications from not-for-profit organisations for funding from the philanthropic trusts and foundations we manage.
- Connecting philanthropists: One of our most valued services is connecting philanthropists with effective organisations dedicated to positive social, cultural, and environmental change. IPAP played a significant role in this process, with philanthropists committing $38 million to not-for-profit organisations via the program in 2023.
- Challenges faced: The report highlights the challenges faced by not-for-profit organisations, including the impact of inflation on vulnerable communities, high staff turnover, and increasing cyber threats, especially for organisations collecting sensitive data.
- Funding by sector: Understand funding trends across various sectors, such as social and community wellbeing, medical research, education, animal welfare, arts and culture, health initiatives, and conservation and environment.
- Multi-year commitments: Hear about increasing trend of multi-year commitments and the strategic allocation of funds for core operational support and capacity building.
- Funding focus areas: Learn about Perpetual’s focus on supporting specific under-funded groups to facilitate more positive change – Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities, LGBTQI+ individuals and communities, and programs that explicitly support women and girls, with funding statistics.
- Case studies: Mission Australia and the Walter and Eliza Hall Institute of Medical Research share what their IPAP grants set out to achieve.
As the not-for-profit sector faces increasing demands and challenges, philanthropy remains critical in providing support for communities. The report anticipates a continued hybrid funding approach, combining immediate community needs with long-term initiatives. Trust and collaboration will be paramount in addressing the evolving needs of communities and organisations.
To access the full 2023 Philanthropy Insights Report and gain a deeper understanding of the Australian philanthropic landscape, download the report below.
More information on IPAP
You can find more about applying for funding through our dedicated Perpetual’s IMPACT Philanthropy Application Program page. It features resources designed to help organisations apply more successfully.